With SAPPHIRE 2018 just around the corner, let’s have a look at a key topic from last year’s event. Leonardo got a lot of attention in 2017, but still many are confused about what it is. Before the next wave of hype rolls in, let’s make sure we all understand what the previous one was about.
Put short: Leonardo is SAP’s brand for digital transformation. Specifically, it’s a brand used for solutions which have certain qualities. Those qualities are found in solutions which relate to IoT, machine learning, blockchain, big data. Hype bingo, if you will.
If you are still confused, here’s a list of some Leonardo-branded services and tangible technologies being marketed.
- Leonardo Innovation Services = Design Thinking and prototyping services offered by SAP.
- Leonardo Centers = physical places where e.g. Innovation Services can be delivered.
- Leonardo Foundation = PaaS services on SAP Cloud Platform for IoT, ML, Blockchain, Big Data, Advanced Analytics
- Leonardo Applications = applications built by SAP which typically are based on SCP, related to the qualities mentioned above, and possibly but not necessarily built using Leonardo Foundation services. Examples: SAP Cash Application, Connected Goods, Predictive Maintenance & Service, Brand Impact, Service Ticketing, Fraud Management, Customer Retention, Analytics Cloud.
- Leonardo IoT Bridge = kind of a “Digital Boardroom” type of solution, gathering data from ERP, LoB apps and Leonardo Applications, giving a real-time view of connected things and business processes.
- Leonardo Accelerators = a commercial packaging: Leonardo Innovation Services + Leonardo Application licenses bundled together, e.g. with an industry specific focus.
So there you have it – quite a wide spectrum of things and concepts. You just need to remember the common denominator: “stuff which has something to do with making your business better by applying IoT, ML, blockchain or big data”.